Sorghum has an amazing range of multiple uses – the grain is used for food, beer and biofuels.The stalks are used as construction material, as fuel for cooking and as fodder for livestock.
Sorghum Muffins (Makes 16 muffins)
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tin or 400 ml condensed milk
- 1 cup milk
- 3-4 tablespoons melted butter
- Sift the sorghum flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cocoa and baking soda in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the condensed milk, milk, vanilla essence and the melted butter and mix thoroughly.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix only until the ingredients are well combined.
- Grease the muffin cups with a little oil and spoon the batter till three-fourths full
- Place in a preheated oven and bake at 180°C (360°F) for 30-40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.