For strong bones
For pregnant women
For sugar and weight control
- Longvah T, Ananthan R, Bhaskarachary K and Venkaiah K. 2017. Indian food composition table, National Institute of Nutrition. 1-578.
- Thathola A, Srivastava S, Singh G. 2011. Effect of foxtail millet (
Setariaitalica) supplementation of serum glucose, serum lipids and glycosylated haemoglobinin Type 2 diabetics. Diabetologia Croatica 40:23-28.
- Kumar A,
MetwalM, Kaur S, Gupta AK, Puranik S, Singh S, Singh M, Gupta S, Babu BK, Sood S and Yadav R. 2016. Nutraceutical value of finger millet (Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn.), and their improvement using omics approaches. Frontiers in plant science. 7:934. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2016.00934
Uses of Pearl millet
Pearl Millet as Feed
Pearl millet has multiple uses in the dryland regions where cultivation of other crops are limited. Pearl millet grain is suitable as poultry feed and can significantly bring down the cost of the feed. Several research studies have proved that pearl millet can be substituted for corn in feed formulations.
Pearl Millet also offers dry-season forage. Some dual purpose varieties can provide both grain and high quality forage. Some hybrids of napier grass and pearl millet is a perennial forage crop. ICRISAT and ILRI tested six dual purpose varieties of pearl millet and growth performance of sheep fed their residues in Niger and the study proved that the stover of the dual purpose varieties are of better quality compared to local varieties.Related publications
- Genotypic Variation in Forage Linked Morphological and Biochemical Traits in Hybrid Parents of Pearl Millet
- Evaluation of five pearl millet varieties for yield and forage quality under two planting densities in the Sahel
- Forage Potential of Sorghum and Pearl Millet
Pearl Millet in Brewing
Similar to sorghum, pearl millet has also been traditionally brewed to produce alcoholic beverages in Africa. “Uphutsu” in Mozambique and “Oyokpo”, a brew from Nigeria are some examples of traditional alcoholic beer brewed from pearl millet. In India, the craft brewery, Great State Ale Works produce millet ale with 56% pearl millet.Related News
We compared Pearl Millet to Top 5 foods highest in Iron
- Pearl Millet
- DarK Green Leafy Vegetables
What is your daily recommended iron intake?
- 13.7–15.1 mg in children 2–11 yrs
- 16.3 mg in children and teens aged 12–19 yrs
- 19.3–20.5 mg in men
- 17.0–18.9 mg in women
- 14.7 mg in pregnant women