Watch the Latest Videos on Smart Foods,
Millets and Sorghum
Panel – Influencing what consumers eat : How much of this influence is coming from SMEs in Africa as opposed to large companies
12 Apr 2021
Moderated by Dr Moses Siambi
- Julie Bouedy, Head – Consumer Sensory Insight and Ideation, Nestle, Cote D’Ivoire
- Moyosola OKOYE, Director – Strategy, Product Innovation & Insights, Danone, Paris
- Dr Jemimah Njuki, Africa Director, IFPRI, Kenya
- Joanna Kane-Potaka, ADG, ICRISAT; Executive Director, Smart Food
How India is building Smart Food markets and value chains
World Health Day – 7 April 2021
Dr Raj Bhandari
Member, National Technical Board of Nutrition, Government of India
Food trends in Africa
5 Apr 2021
Director – Strategy, Product Innovation & Insights
Newly Launched Millet Food Finder Shows a Revolution is Underway
Millets have sometimes been hailed as the next quinoa but researchers collating a global database of millet products have found this ancient grain to be orchestrating a silent food revolution that could see quinoa outstripped. The “Millet Finder”, launched today (25 Nov 2020), discovered a surge in the use of millets, with over a thousand modern convenient products in a very wide range, across all the inhabited continents. Go to Millet Finder or Read More in the Media Release
TEDXVarese talk on The Challenge of Smart Food by Stefania Grando, Honorary Fellow, ICRISAT
COVID-19 Smart Food Message – Rebuilding the food system, but getting our priorities right!
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we are going to have to rebuild and overhaul our food system. How do we make it nutrition secure, secure for the most vulnerable in our society, and climate change and pandemic-proof? The solution lies in getting our priorities right, by placing nutrition, the environment, and the producers of food at the center of the discourse on transforming the food system and restoring equilibrium and equity. This means foods that are smart – good for you, planet and farmers and all producers – being at the center of the food system… See more
Smart Food Feature Articles
News & Updates
About Smart Food
Smart Food is food that fulfil all criteria of being good for you (nutritious and healthy); good for the planet (environmentally sustainable); and good for the farmer (climate smart, potential to increase yields, multiple uses).
The key objective of the Smart Food initiative is to diversify staples across Africa and Asia. By focusing on staples, often 70% of the plate and eaten 3 times a day, Smart Food Initiative plans to have the biggest impact.
Six compelling reasons to switch to Smart Food
Help prevent/manage disease
- Diabetes – Sorghum and millets have low glycemic index and therefore help keep blood sugar levels stable.
- Osteoporosis – Finger millet contains thrice the amount of calcium as milk, making it a great food for building stronger bones.
- Anemia – The high iron content in pearl millet helps combat anemia.
- Hypertension – Sorghum and millets are rich in antioxidants and help fight age-onset degenerative diseases.
Care during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Pearl millet is high in iron, zinc and folic acid, which are critical for health of the mother as well as baby.
- Fermented millet products help to maintain a healthy digestive system due to their probiotic nature.
Quality nutrition for children
- Finger millet has three times the amount of calcium than milk. Calcium is essential for the growth of strong, healthy bones and teeth.
- Pearl millet and little millet are rich in iron which is important for making hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying red pigment in blood.
- Each time you replace some of the high carbon footprint foods such as rice and meat with millet, sorghum and legumes, you make a climate-smart choice – a small contribution that adds up eventually.
Manage your weight
- Millets and sorghum release energy slowly, contain high fiber that keeps you full for longer periods and reduce cravings.
Increased energy levels
- Slow release of energy by Smart Food also means you have energy for a longer time, for greater endurance.