Read the full article by Noluthando Ngcakani for food for Mzansi
Africa is filled with “super foods” that have been used as sustenance and medicine by generations across history, believes Mpho Tshukudu, a Johannesburg-born registered dietician who dreams of a day when people will, once again, consume the delicacies of their ancestors.
Tshukudu told Food For Mzansi that this could be the answer to various lifestyle ailments, such as diabetes, hypertension and cancers. “I have seen the magic of what is possible. This is why I have dedicated my career to honouring our cultures.”
Historically, African food was labelled as “poverty food.” But the world has grown more aware of the healing properties in foods from the continent, Tshukudu adds.
“When the world talks about gluten free grains, they are talking about African grains. These are sorghum, teff, millet and fonio. We need to understand, as Africans, that the whole world is looking at our resources. If we don’t take advantage of them, innovate and do interesting things with them, we will lose them,” she warns.
* 8-12 shrimp, peeled and de-veined
* Finger millet vermicelli ( one cup cooked )
* 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 3 garlic cloves
* 2 large shallot, diced finely
* 2 tsp chili flakes
* 2 lemons
* 1 spoon Italian seasoning
* 6 to 7 cherry tomatoes, halved
* 1 sprig of basil, picked ( 7 leaves )
* Salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
* Heat a saute pan on medium heat with one tablespoon of olive oil.
* When hot, add the garlics and finely diced shallots into the pan and saute for 2 minutes to soften them.
* Deglaze the pan with the water two spoons and cook until it is almost evaporated from the pan.
* Add the vegetable stock, Italian seasoning , Chilli flakes, , cherry tomatoes and lemons (zested and juiced).add some spinach topping and keep it aside the flame
* season the raw shrimp with salt and pepper and poach in the liquid for about 1 minute per side.
* Take a pan
* Add the cubed butter to melt.
* Taste and season with salt and pepper accordingly. ( don’t over cook the shrimp )
* add it to the pan with the scampi sauce the cooked shrimp. Toss the vermicelli in the sauce to coat evenly.
* Finally, tear the fresh basil leaves and toss into the vermicelli before plating.
* Plate the cooked vermicelli into a medium size bowl with some height. Garnish with a grating of Lite pepper , salt , lemon juice and basil .
Note : u can replace the main ingredient with any tofu , paneer , chicken or mushroom 🍄 !