Good for you
- Highly nutritious
- High in iron, zinc and folic acid; Pearl millet
- 3 times the amount of calcium as milk; Finger millet
- High in antioxidants
- Low glycemic index important for fighting diabetes & heart disease; Millet
- Important source of plant-based protein to address obesity, manage diabetes and coronary conditions; Chick Pea & Cow Pea
Good for the planet
- Highly water efficient – they are smart crops that grow in drought prone areas.
- Require fewer pesticides and fertilizers
- Lower carbon footprint.
- This is not only good for the environment
- Food safety
- Less financial investment risk for farmers.
- Pulses are particularly good for improving soil fertility by fixing nitrogen and promoting soil microbes.
- They help make a positive contribution in reducing release of greenhouse gases.
Good for the farmer
- These climate smart crops are typically the last crop standing in times of drought.
- Some pearl millets have been known to withstand up to 64˚Celcius.
- Sorghum and Millets can be a good risk management strategy for farmers.
- They have multiple untapped uses (fodder, biofuels, food products, brewing and more)
- They have a large scope for further yield development.
Join the Smart Food Campaign
There are many ways to Get Involved in the Smart Food Campaign. You can join us by;
- Learning how Smart Foods help improve your health
- Introduce Smart Foods in your meals by checking out our delicious recipes
- Do you love to cook? Submit your very own Smart Food recipe to be featured on the Smart Food Website