Pearl millet is naturally high in iron and zinc. Research shows it can meet daily requirements of iron and zinc for children.
African Millet Patties (Makes 4-6 patties)
- 1 cup pearl millet
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup tahini or nut butter/raisins
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1½ teaspoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Rinse the millet and soak in water at room temperature for 6 hours or overnight.
- Bring the water and millet to a boil, quickly turn down the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and let it sit uncovered for a few minutes to cool down
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Form into patties and shallow fry over medium heat in a lightly oiled pan for a few minutes on each side until brown. Serve with condiments or chutneys.
- Alternatively, the millet may be served when warm without frying. It’s delicious this way as well